Reposted from the NAR Voice of Real Estate blogsite. Charles McMillan is our 2009 NAR President.
Working for YOU, Posted by Charles
Posted: 09 Feb 2009 10:52 AM CST
Yesterday, I met with Sheila Bair, chair of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. – one of our closest contacts in the Obama Administration. We talked at length about the problems that REALTORS® are facing on the ground, including problems with short sales and loan modifications. I am happy to report that she recognized these problems and said they are developing some new ideas that could help resolve them.
I will continue to update you on development in this area, and I invited Ms. Blair to provide you with a direct update on these efforts at NAR’s Midyear Meetings this May. Stay tuned for more information on that in the months ahead.
My meeting with Chairman Blair capped an incredible two-week run here in Washington, D.C., where nearly 1,000 REALTORS® met, planned, and acted on a single goal: Helping YOU in your businesses.
Here are just a few of the things we have been working on to help you:
• NAR continued our push to keep housing a top priority in the final economic stimulus bill, expanding the tax credit to $15,000, and making permanent the 2008 GSE and FHA loan limits.
• NAR’s political and committee leaders met to formalize our 2009 policy agenda, based on a recent survey of all members. Not surprisingly, the economy, keeping banks out of real estate, and protecting the mortgage interest deduction top the list of priorities.
• I met with state presidents and association executives, and with the leaders of several minority real estate organizations, to get their thoughts on the major challenges our members are facing and what NAR can do to help.
• I participated in a satellite media tour to promote our housing stimulus plan on TV stations across the country. I also met with nearly a dozen reporters here in Washington, D.C., to promote our position on the economic stimulus package and other key issues, like banks in Real Estate.
• We made final preparations on our brand new consumer radio program, Real Estate Today, which will debut next week on XM Sirius and WMAL 630 in Washington, D.C. This program will help us bring consumers back into the market.
• NAR’s Strategic Planning Committee laid the foundation for our organization to move in new directions to help members in this new environment and in the years ahead. [link to 2009 Strategic Plan]
• The REALTORS® Federal Credit Union Board met, and we are on track to open May 1 of this year, providing vital services to REALTORS.
• The Leadership Team also approved a new initiative to give you the Right Tools, Right Now to help you in your business. Look for more details on that later this month.
These are just some of the things NAR has been working on – both in public and behind the scenes – to help you, our members. I know many of you are working just as hard to address challenges in your communities. If you have ideas, let us know. You can comment right here on the Voices blog, or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
It will take all of us to get through this difficult time and build a brighter future for all members. I promise that NAR will keep pushing harder than ever. I hope all of you will join us. – Charles McMillan, 2009 NAR President